He is commonly ranked as one of the most influential English writers of the 20th century and as one of the most important chroniclers of English culture of his generation.
Orwell’s work is marked by lucid prose, awareness of social injustice, opposition to totalitarianism, and commitment to democratic socialism. He is best known for the dystopian novel NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR (1949) and the allegorical novella ANIMAL FARM (1945). His book HOMAGE TO CATALONIA (1938), an account of his experiences in the Spanish Civil War, is widely acclaimed, as are his numerous essays on politics, literature, language, and culture.
In 2008, The Times ranked him second on a list of “The 50 greatest British writers since 1945”.
* ALL ART IS PROPAGANDA: Critical Essays (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008). Edited by George Packer, with an Introduction by Keith Gessen.
* ANIMAL FARM & 1984 (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2003). Introduction by Christopher Hitchens.
* BURMESE DAYS (Penguin Classics, 2009). Introduction by Emma Larkin, and a Note on the Text by Peter Davison.
* A COLLECTION OF ESSAYS (Harcourt, 1981).
* COMING UP FOR AIR (Penguin Classics, 2000). With a Note on the Text by Peter Davison.
* THE COMPLETE NOVELS (Penguin Classics, 1983).
* DECLINE OF THE ENGLISH MURDER (Penguin, 2009).
* DOWN AND OUT IN PARIS AND LONDON (Penguin Classics, 1989). Introduction by Dervla Murphy, and a Note on the Text by Peter Davison.
* FACING UNPLEASANT FACTS: Narrative Essays (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2008). Edited and with an Introduction by George Packer.
* GEORGE ORWELL: A LIFE IN LETTERS (Liveright, 2013). Selected and annotated by Peter Davison.
* HOMAGE TO CATALONIA (Penguin Classics, 2003).
* IN FRONT OF YOUR NOSE: Collected Essays, Journalism and Letters, Vol. 4: 1945-1950 (Secker & Warburg, 1968). Edited by Sonia Orwell and Ian Angus. — PDF
* KEEP THE ASPIDISTRA FLYING (Penguin Classics, 1989). With a Note on the Text by Peter Davison.
* NINETEEN EIGHTY-FOUR (Penguin Classics, 2003). Introduction by Thomas Pynchon.
* ORWELL IN SPAIN: The Full Text of “Homage to Catalonia” with Associated Articles, Reviews and Letters (Penguin Classics, 2001). Edited by Peter Davison, with an Introduction by Christopher Hitchens.
* SHOOTING AN ELEPHANT & OTHER ESSAYS (Penguin Classics, 2009). Introduction by Jeremy Paxman.